Monday, April 4, 2011

C-Section

I gave birth via c-section when I had Chloe. Prior to finding out that it would be what we had to have, I was planning an unmedicated natural birth. But Miss Chloe had other plans. She was frank breech with her little hips stuck in the birth canal. While I am aware that vaginal breech births are possible, it was not a risk I was willing to take.

When I found out about my c-section I was disappointed but didn't really think about it too much. I've had plenty of surgeries and am thankful for modern medical practices. The surgery went off without any major issues. I didn't feel a thing, my doctor was very sweet, and most importantly my baby was born healthy.

Throughout the last seven and a half months I've reflected on my birth experience from time to time. When Chloe was about a month old I remember being upset because I didn't know what to call my experience. I didn't feel like I had given birth. I didn't know if it was fair to those who had vaginal births for me to say that I gave birth. In reality my baby was cut out of me. I still have not come to terms with what to call it. I still feel weird saying that I gave birth.

I never felt really sad about my c-section a week ago. One of my sorority sisters gave birth to a beautiful healthy baby girl. I'm so happy for her and her fiancé. They are going to be great parents. Her birth got me thinking of my own and I began to think more and more about my c-section. I guess I haven't really put my feelings about it behind me, I sort of just buried them. I'm not really sure what to do. It's quite frustrating. I'm so thankful for my baby, but I still wonder everyday what it would have been like if I had really had the birth I wanted. I'm a bit lost there.

On a lighter note, here's a new picture I took last week of my girl. She's so beautiful :)

Chloe 3/27/11

3 comments:

  1. Hey there - I'm an August 2010 mama as well. Just wondering what kind of camera you use... your photos are amazing.
    Thank you!
    Emily (Mom to Daphne 8mos)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos too and also an August 10 mama! Your little girl is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, that gorgeous baby was birthed. I suppose I can understand where you're coming from... in the same way I can understand that I am sometimes too hard on myself.

    Example? I ran a marathon. Twenty six point two miles of me and the road in San Diego. And you know what? I never considered myself a runner. Okay, it's true *now* since I haven't run in years, lol, but seriously, does that make sense to you? I mean, it's not like I speed walked it (or speed anything, it took me a looong time, haha)... and it's not as though I woke up the morning of the race and decided I was gonna do it, too. I prepared. I ran. I finished. I was a runner.

    You were pregnant, you are not pregnant now and your daughter is proof of the whole thing. You gave birth. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You have a birth story. It's not exactly like anyone else's out there. You should write it down and give it a brilliant title, like "My Birth Story" or "How I Gave Birth to this Amazing Human Being."

    Hugs,

    Shan :+)

    ReplyDelete